1. Almighty Lord, before Thy throne
Thy mourning people bend;
'Tis on Thy grace in Christ alone
Our failing hopes depend.
2. Dark judgments from Thy heavy hand
Thy dreadful pow'r display;
Yet mercy spares our guilty land,
And still we live to pray.
3. How changed, alas, are truths divine
For error, guilt, and shame!
What impious numbers, bold in sin,
Disgrace the Christian name!
4. Oh, turn us, turn us, mighty Lord;
Convert us by Thy grace!
Then shall our hearts obey Thy Word
And see again Thy face.
5. Then, should oppressing foes invade,
We will not yield to fear,
Secure of all-sufficient aid
When God in Christ is near.
Hymn #579 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: Psalm 59:16
Author: Anne Steele, 1756, cento, alt.
Composer: John Chetham, 1718
1st Published in: _Psalmody_