1. O splendor of God's glory bright,
Who bringest forth the light from Light;
O Light of light, light's Fountain-spring;
O Day, our days enlightening:
2. Come, very Sun of truth and love,
Come in Thy radiance from above
And shed the Holy Spirit's ray
On all we think or do today.
3. Likewise to Thee our prayers ascend,
Father of glory without end,
Father of saving grace, for pow'r
To conquer in temptation's hour.
4. Teach us to work with all our might;
Beat back the devil's threatening spite;
Turn all to good that seems most ill;
Help us our calling to fulfil.
5. Direct and govern heart and mind,
With body chaste and disciplined;
Let faith her eager fires renew
And hate the false and love the true.
6. On Christ, the true Bread, let us feed,
Let Him to us be drink indeed,
And let us taste with joyfulness
The Holy Spirit's plenteousness.
7. Oh, joyful be the livelong day,
Our thoughts as pure as morning ray,
Our faith like noonday's glowing height,
Our souls undimmed by shades of night.
8. The dawn begins to speed her way,
Let the true Dawn himself display,
The Son with God the Father One,
And God the Father in the Son.
9. All praise to God the Father be,
All praise, eternal Son, to Thee,
Whom with the Spirit we adore
Forever and forevermore.
Hymn #550 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: John 8:12
Author: St. Ambrose, d. 397
Translator: composite, 1904
Titled: "Splendor paternae gloriae"
Composer: Nikolaus Herman, 1560
Tune: "O Heilige Dreifaltigkeit"