1. O Spirit of the living God,
In all Thy plentitude of grace,
Where'er the foot of man hath trod,
Descend on our apostate race.
2. Give tongues of fire and hearts of love
To preach the reconciling Word;
Give pow'r and unction from above
Where'er the joyful sound is heard.
3. Be darkness, at Thy coming, light;
Confusion, order, in Thy path;
Souls without strength inspire with might;
Bid mercy triumph over wrath.
4. O Spirit of the Lord, prepare
A sinful world their God to meet;
Breathe Thou abroad like morning air
Till hearts of stone begin to beat.
5. Baptize the nations; far and nigh
The triumphs of the Cross record;
The name of Jesus glorify
Till every kindred call Him Lord.
6. God from eternity hath willed
All flesh shall His salvation see;
So be the Father's love fulfilled,
The Savior's sufferings crowned through Thee.
Hymn #504 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: Acts 2:3
Author: James Montgomery, 1823
Composer: Samuel Webbe, 1782