1. Pour out Thy Spirit from on high,
Lord, Thine assembled servants bless;
Graces and gifts to each supply
And clothe Thy priests with righteousness.
2. Before Thine altar when we stand
To teach the truth as taught by Thee,
Savior, like stars in Thy right hand
The angels of Thy churches be.
3. Wisdom and zeal and faith impart,
Firmness with meekness, from above,
To bear Thy people on our heart
And love the souls whom Thou dost love;
4. To watch and pray and never faint
By day and night strict guard to keep,
To warn the sinner, cheer the saint,
Nourish Thy lambs, and feed Thy sheep.
5. Then, when our work is finished here,
We may in hope our charge resign.
When the Chief Shepherd shall appear,
O God, may they and we be Thine!
Hymn #490 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: Psalm 132:9
Author: James Montgomery, 1832
Tune: "O Jesu Christ, mein's"
1st Published in: _Nuernbergisches Gesangbuch_, 1676