1. God of the prophets, bless the prophet's sons;
Elijah's mantle o'er Elisha cast.
Each age its solemn task may claim but once;
Make each one nobler, stronger, than the last.
2. Annoint them prophets. Make their ears attent
To Thy divinest speech, their hearts awake
To human need, their lips make eloquent
To gird the right and every evil break.
3. Annoint them priests. Strong intercessors, they,
For pardon and for charity and peace.
Ah, if with them the world might, now astray,
Find in our Lord from all its woes release!
4. Annoint them kings; aye, kingly kings, O Lord.
Annoint them with the Spirit of Thy Son.
Theirs not a jeweled crown, a blood-stained sword;
Theirs, by sweet love, for Christ a kingdom won.
5. Make them apostles, heralds of Thy Cross;
Forth may they go to tell all realms Thy grace.
Inspired of Thee, may they count all but loss
And stand at last with joy before Thy face.