1. Grace! 'Tis a charming sound,
Harmonious to the ear;
Heaven with the echo shall resound,
And all the earth shall hear.
2. Grace first contrived the way
To save rebellious man,
And all the steps that grace display
Which drew the wondrous plan.
3. Grace first inscribed my name
In God's eternal book;
'Twas grace that gave me to the Lamb,
Who all my sorrows took.
4. Grace led my wandering feet
To tread the heavenly road;
And new supplies each hour I meet
While pressing on to God.
5. Grace taught my soul to pray
And made mine eyes o'erflow;
'Twas grace that kept me to this day
And will not let me go.
6. Grace all the work shall crown
Through everlasting days;
It lays in heaven the topmost stone
And well deserves the praise.
Hymn #374 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: Ephesians 2:5
Author: Philip Doddridge, 1755; stanzas 1, 2, 4, 6
Author: Augustus M. Toplady, 1776; stanzas 3, 5
Composer: William H. Monk, 1861