1. Awake, my soul, to joyful lays
And sing Thy great Redeemer's praise.
He justly claims a song from me,--
His loving-kindness, oh, how free!
2. He saw me ruined in the Fall,
Yet loved me notwithstanding all.
He saved me from my lost estate,--
His loving-kindness, oh, how great!
3. When I was Satan's easy prey
And deep in debt and bondage lay,
He paid His life for my discharge,--
His loving-kindness, oh, how large.
4. Through mighty hosts of cruel foes,
Where earth and hell my way oppose,
He safely leads my soul along,--
His loving-kindness, oh, how strong!
5. When trouble, like a gloomy cloud,
Has gathered thick and thundered loud,
He near my soul has always stood,--
His loving-kindness, oh, how near!
6. When earthly friends forsake me quite
And I have neither skill now might,
He's sure my Helper to appear,--
His loving-kindness, oh, near!
7. Too oft I feel my sinful heart
Prone from my Jesus to depart;
But through I have Him oft forgot,
His loving-kindness changes not.
8. When I shall pass death's gloomy vale
And all my mortal power must fail,
Oh, may my last, expiring breath
His loving-kindness sing in death!
9. Then shall I mount and soar away
To the bright world of endless day
And sing with rapture and surprise
His loving-kindness in the skies.