1. The Gospel shows the Father's grace,
Who sent His Son to save our race,
Proclaims how Jesus lived and died
That man might thus be justified.
2. It sets the Lamb before our eyes,
Who made the atoning sacrifice,
And calls the souls with guilt opprest
To come and find eternal rest.
3. It brings the Savior's righteousness
Our souls to robe in royal dress;
From all our guilt it brings release
And gives the troubled conscience peace.
4. It is the power of God to save
From sin and Satan and the grave;
It works the faith, which firmly clings
To all the treasures which it brings.
5. It bears to all the tidings glad
And bids their hearts no more be sad;
The heavy-laden souls it cheers
And banishes their guilty fears.
6. May we in faith its tidings learn
Nor thanklessly its blessings spurn;
May we in faith its truth confess
And praise the Lord our Righteousness!
Hymn #297 from The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: John 3: 16
Author: Matthias Loy, 1863
Tune: Herr Jesu Christ, dich
1st Published in: "Cantionale Germanicum"
Town: Dresden, 1628