1. Jesus calls us; o'er the tumult
Of our life's wild, restless sea,
Day by day His sweet voice soundeth,
Saying, "Christian, follow Me."
2. As of old Saint Andrew heard it
By the Galilean lake,
Turned from home and toil and kindred.
Leaving all for His dear sake.
3. Jesus calls us from the worship
Of the vain world's golden stole.
From each idol that would keep us,
Saying, "Christian, love Me more."
4. In our joys and in our sorrows,
Days of toll and hours of ease,
Still He calls, in cares and pleasures,
"Christian, love Me more than these."
5. Jesus calls us; by Thy mercies,
Savior, make us hear Thy call,
Give our hearts to Thine obedience,
Serve and love Thee best of all. Amen.
Hymn #270 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: John 1:40
Author: Cecil F. Alexander, 1852
1st Published in: _Psalmodia Sacra_
Town: Gotha, 1715