1. Lord of our life and God of our salvation.
Star of our night and Hope of every nation,
Hear and receive Thy Church's supplication,
Lord God Almighty.
2. See round Thine ark the hungry billows curling;
See how thy foes their banners are unfurling.
Lord, while their darts envenomed they are hurling,
Thou canst preserve us.
3. Lord, Thou canst help when earthly armor faileth;
Lord, Thou canst save when deadly sin assaileth;
Lord, o'er Thy Church nor death nor hell prevaileth;
Grant us Thy peace, Lord:
4. Peace in our hearts, our evil thoughts assuaging;
Peace in Thy Church where brothers are engaging;
Peace when the world its busy war is waging.
Calm Thy foes' raging.
5. Grant us Thy help till backward they are driven;
Grant them Thy truth that they may be forgiven;
Grant peace on earth or, after we have striven,
Peace in Thy heaven.
Hymn #258 from _The Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: Ps. 79:9
Author: by Matthaeus A. von Loewenstern, 1644
Translated by: Philip Pusey, 1840, alt.
Titled: "Christe, du Beistand"
Composer: Johann Crueger, 1640
Tune: "Herzliebster Jesu"