1. God loved the world so that He gave
His only Son the lost to save
That all who would in Him believe
Should everlasting life receive.
2. Christ Jesus is the Ground of faith,
Who was made flesh and suffered death;
All that confide in Him alone
Are built on this chief Corner-stone.
3. God would not have the sinner die,
His Son with saving grace is nigh,
His Spirit in the Word doth teach
How man the blessed goal may reach.
4. Be of good cheer, for God's own Son
Forgives all sins which thou hast done;
Thou'rt justified by Jesus' blood,
Thy Baptism grants the highest good.
5. If thou be sick, if death draw near,
This truth thy troubled heart can cheer:
Christ Jesus saves my soul from death,
That is the firmest ground of faith.
6. Glory to God the Father, Son,
And Holy Spirit, Three in One!
To Thee, O blessed Trinity,
Be praise now and eternally!
Hymn #245 from The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: John 3: 16
Author: unknown, 1791, cento
Tranlsated by: August Crull, 1923, alt.
Titled: "Also hat Gott die Welt geliebt"
Composer: Geroge J. Elvey, 1862
Tune: "St. Crispin"