1. Come, Holy Ghost, Creator blest,
Vouchsafe within our souls to rest;
Come with Thy grace and heavenly aid
And fill the hearts which Thou hast made.
2. To Thee, the Comforter, we cry,
To Thee, the Gift of God Most High,
The Fount of life, the Fire of love,
The soul's Anointing from above.
3. The sevenfold gifts of grace are Thine,
O Finger of the Hand Divine;
True promise of the Father Thou,
Who dost the tongue with speech endow.
4. Thy light to every thought impart
And shed Thy love in every heart;
The weakness of our mortal state
With deathless might invigorate.
5. Drive far away our wily Foe
And Thine abiding peace bestow;
If Thou be our protecting Guide,
No evil can our steps betide.
6. Make Thou to us the Father known,
Teach us the eternal Son to own
And Thee, whose name we ever bless,
Of both the Spirit, to confess.
7. Praise we the Father and the Son
And Holy Spirit, with them One;
And may the Son on us bestow
The gifts that from the Spirit flow! Amen.
Hymn #233 from _The Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: John 14:26
Author: Rhabanus Maurus, 856
Translated by: Edward Caswall, 1849, alt.
Titled: _Veni, Creator Spiritus, Mentes_
Tune: "Komm, Gott Schoepfer" based on "Veni, Creator
Spiritus," c. 600