1. 'Twas on that dark, that doleful night
When powers of earth and hell arose
Against the Son of God's delight
And friends betrayed Him to His foes.
2. Before the mournful scene began,
He took the bread and blessed and brake.
What love through all His actions ran!
What wondrous words of grace He spake!
3. "This Is My body, broke for sin;
Receive and eat the living food";
Then took the cup and blessed the wine:
"'Tis the new covenant in My blood."
4. "Do this," He said, "till time shall end,
In memory of your dying Friend.
Meet at My table and record
The love of your departed Lord."
5. Jesus, Thy feast we celebrate;
We show Thy death, we sing Thy name,
Till Thou return and we shall eat
The marriage supper of the Lamb.
Hymn #164 from _The Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: I Cor. 11:23ff.
Author: Isaac Watts, 1709, ab.
Composer: John B. Dykes, 1861
Tune: ÒSt. CrossÓ