1. Great God, we sing that mighty hand
By which supported still we stand.
The opening year Thy mercy shows;
Let mercy crown it till it close.
2. By day, by night, at home, abroad,
Still we are guarded by our God,
By His incessant bounty fed,
By His unerring counsel led.
3. With grateful hearts the past we own;
The future, all to us unknown,
We to Thy guardian care commit
And, peaceful, leave before Thy feet.
4. In scenes exalted or depressed
Be Thou our Joy and Thou our Rest.
Thy goodness all our hopes shall raise,
Adored through all our changing days.
5. When death shall interrupt our songs,
And seal in silence mortal tongues,
Our Helper, God, in whom we trust,
In better worlds our soul shall boast.