1. Hark the glad sound! The Savior comes,
The Savior promised long;
Let every heart prepare a throne
And every voice a song.
2. He comes the prisoners to release,
In Satan's bondage held.
The gates of brass before Him burst,
The iron fetters yield.
3. He comes from thickest films of vice
To clear the mental ray
And on the eyeballs of the blind
To pour celestial day.
4. He comes the broken heart to bind,
The bleeding soul to cure,
And with the treasures of His grace
To enrich the humble poor.
5. Our glad hosannas, Prince of Peace,
Thy welcome shall proclaim
And heaven's eternal arches ring
With Thy beloved name.
Hymn #66 from _The Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal_
Text: Is. 61:1, 2; Luke 4:18
Author: Philip Doddridge, 1735, cento
Composer: Thomas Haweis, 1792